Intellectual property rights protect the names of products, brands or logos, inventions, the design or look of products and various other things you may write, make or produce.
Unfortunately, some of these forms of protection do not automatically arise on creation so although your bespoke policies and procedures may well be automatically protected the name of your academy, school, FE college or other educational body and/or its logo will not. However, as the value of intellectual property (IP) is not recognised on the balance sheet it is common for its intrinsic value (and the need to protect it) to be overlooked.
It is also quite common for someone to innocently or deliberately breach someone else’s IP which may give rise to a claim being made. Some of the most common circumstances where this occurs are where someone copies another’s standard terms and conditions or where a web designer uses images on a website that belong to someone else (often Getty Images). This will often give rise to a claim being made which may cost hundreds or thousands of pounds to resolve.
Our intellectual property team will:
- help you to protect your IP;
- help you to exploit the value of your IP;
- help to you enforce or defend your IP rights;.
- help you to develop and protect your own website and other information technology; and
- advise in relation to the creation and/or acquisition of software, computers and IT systems.